Friday, December 5, 2014

Letting People Be There For Us.

It is a hard pill to swallow when we know something is wrong, it is even harder when someone else knows and is willing to let you throw your sorrows at them. But sometimes that is exactly what we need, we need nurturing, we need someone to care about us. Many of us have got so good at building road blocks and walls so high to stop ourselves from getting what we need. You cannot keep pushing support away, you are depriving yourself of something you need as a human being. You need to know you're cared about every once in awhile. You need to let go of your fear of being the victim, you need to stop letting yourself get disappointed. Trust yourself, put a little trust in the person trying to help you. Learn to let go of your fears, t may not happen all at once, but take one day a step at a time.

When I got pregnant I felt as if I had the weight of the word on my shoulders all the time, I was trying to balance school, I was trying to balance my health, I was trying to build a trusting relationship with my baby's father, and I was beyond overwhelmed. My family had alienated me, and all my friends didn't understand what my needs were, and I don't think I really understood what my needs were either. There was a boy I had met that school year, and he was the only one who really understood what I needed, without even talking to me often. Every time I felt down it was like he was always there to ask me if I was okay, even though countless times I had told him I didn't want to talk about it, but the fact he kept coming back and asking and trying to make me feel better was what I really needed, I needed someone that cared about me, I needed to know I was cared about and because of him I made it through everything.

To the boy who cared when no one else did: You gave me strength to believe everything was okay, you gave me trust, you helped me to repair relationships all with three simple words, "Are you okay?" Thank you for being a friend.

"To often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
-Leo Buscaglia

No comments:

Post a Comment