Saturday, December 6, 2014

Unhealthy Relationships.

We will find ourselves in a few hard situations, where we must let go of a relationship because it is getting unhealthy. No matter the relationship type, whether it is a good friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, even a family member. You must do what is best for yourself, and what is going to help you, what is going to benefit you, not others. It is okay to be selfish with your feelings every once and awhile, if you are not happy with a relationship, when there is only one sided effort, or the other person is hurtful it is okay to say you've had enough. It's okay to push them away, if they care enough to show you that they want to fix things, and it's okay to say yes, but it's also okay to say no.

This year I have learned a lot about unhealthy relationships, in both the aspects of friendship, and relationship. I learned not everyone who says they're you're friend is there for your well being, and that a lot of the people you call friends at school are only your friends because you see them 5 days a week. That not all of those friends are going to be there when things get rough, and some may even turn against you. Some of those friends are mostly calling you a friend for their benefit. I've learned there needs to be healthy boundaries with family too. This year I cut a lot of my own family out of my life because they were hurtful and unsupportive, fortunately this was one of those cases where we all work on it and talked things through to build a healthy relationship. Lastly, I learned you cannot be with someone you've grown to resent. I spent half of this year trying to hold onto a boy who I honestly didn't even want. I began to resent him for being so oblivious to the fact I was trying to make our relationship healthy for our son, and this was one of those cases where it was one sided, and I needed to pull myself from the situation.

To the people I can actually call friends: I'm so grateful we have all worked things out, and that we can talk things through instead of argue. I am thankful we have kept things positive and healthy.

-S.M.

"To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship."
-Doménico Cieri Estrada

No comments:

Post a Comment